Clarks 2013

Clarks 2013

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Birth of our First Stone

So just had to share a crazy, scary moment.  David & I had a wonderful Saturday night date that he planned and surprised me with!  He even sent me out of the house to make dinner secretively and gave me some spending cash :)  Sweet!!  We had some delicious spaghetti, played mario, went ice skating, ice cream, and then crashed.  After falling asleep (or after I fell asleep) David had some stomach pains and threw up several times.  He kept going back to throw up again and I finally woke up and realized he must be sick??  He said that it seemed a lot different than a flu and that his stomach was hurting a lot.  So, I looked up urgent cares and called my mom to research too... the area that was hurting was the right side of his belly button and below - I thought appendix, and starting worrying.  Turns out only the ER is open at 12:30am, so after I got David ready and with a bucket just in case, we got to the Murray IHC ER.  I knew something was really wrong when David said I could take him there anyway - I guess he thought it was just an urgent care until he asked where it was and I said, the ER (figured I'd leave that out in case he wouldn't go) - but he was totally willing and in so much pain.  By the time we got there his face just looked so painful - he's a tough guy and doesn't really make noise or scream with pain, but I could just tell as he was hunched over and going back and forth around the waiting room that he wasn't doing okay.  We had to wait more than an hour which could have been okay except with continuous sharp pain in the stomach, it really wasn't good.  The thing that finally got us in was when David fell onto the floor and was trying to throw up in a trash can around all the other patients waiting.  They promptly called in the back and someone was out pretty quickly!  I should have had him do that an hour earlier!!  So, once in the back we got David an IV and got him hooked to some fluids.  David wasn't looking good at all, I felt so bad for him.  The pain was so bad that he was shaking uncontrollably and just kept saying to put him out of his misery.  Nothing was comfortable and he was going to do anything to stop the pain.   As soon as we got him in the room the nurse suggested that he undress and put on the gown after he left but David heard that and immediately threw his pants off and shirt and I had to help get the gown on while he was wiggling in the bed.  The Dr came in and they said it was either appendix or more likely, KIDNEY STONES!!!  But no matter what, morphine was needed immediately.  That helped immediately and David was pretty out of it.  His body was so exhausted from the pain that he slept most of the time after that (and said some very funny things too that I'll try to remember - I say crazy stuff all the time just when I'm tired, so finally I had something on him!)  I was worried until he finally calmed down a lot and we got him on IV, meds, and a breathing machine because he wasn't doing that too well.  I waited there another hour until we had a CT Scan that would see what was going on.  An hour after that again we did find out it was a kidney stone 3 mm in size, like 1/10 of an inch.  While that is small, I can guarantee it is VERY painful.  They say more painful than labor and delivery.  I totally believe it.  I was just glad it wasn't anything worse.  I didn't sleep all night and finally we were sent home with meds, a strainer, and directions to just wait and drink lots and lots.  I got David in bed and crashed right with him.  Three hours later I had to call all our church people to let them know we both wouldn't be teaching our various classes.  David got up and after the 13 hours of labor... he passed the kidney stone!  His family was on the way to give a blessing so that was perfect timing.  They said we needed to name it :)  hahaha, but David said he'd never name that painful thing!  But I guess we did have our first baby, and now I know I can't ever say that David doesn't know what labor feels like....


I'm just glad he's okay!  He was so strong and I'm glad that I was there to take care of him (and that I didn't pass out or anything! - see David? Maybe I will be able to handle when our future kids get hurt huh???)  That was sure a scary night for us both and we're so glad it's over.  We need another normal weekend.... 

1 comment: