During March we decided to try a month without sweets. I've been a bit lax on my sugar and chocolate intake.... to say the least! I've been teasing David because I really don't recall being so "addicted" to sweets before we were married. He's definitely a sweets-o-holic :) I guess it's rubbed off a little on me...
So we made it through the month! We didn't eat baked sweets or candy at all! And we still had Christmas candy in the house so we boxed it all up for a month (the ones that were our favorites). I have to say that the first week without sweets was SO HARD! I've done "no sweets" before and it really didn't affect me much, especially on the mission I went months w/out or hoping that members wouldn't feed me sweets... strange me! Anyway, I guess I've been pretty addicted! David survived too and didn't even complain like I did...hahah. We had a few exceptions that got us by - Hot Chocolate was allowed every once in awhile, soda wasn't, and if someone was having a birthday we could eat the cake too - so we weren't rude. I lived for those days....
It was a good experience and helped remind us not to get so addicted on the sweets that are so available! I mean every activity with the families, there's always cake and ice cream; every church activity, cookies, etc; every day at work for me there's a plethora of snacks, candy bars, etc. These foods that aren't really good for our bodies are all over all the time! I know it 'hits the spot' and gives comfort and happiness, but there's better places and even better food that helps even more. Fruit really is the good sweet, and I ate lots of that over the weeks. I wish our society used more of the healthy food at parties and get together. I don't see much changing in our world today, but at least we'll be a bit more conscientious.
Disclaimer: We are back to eating sweets and I think I still have a little 'somethin somethin' most days, but I feel like I can control it and I only eat the sweets I enjoy the most, and I hope for it to stay that way. I probably should do the no sweets diet every few months to remember how healthy I feel with the better foods that are out there - but that doesn't mean you all have to do that :)
No comments:
Post a Comment