Clarks 2013

Clarks 2013

Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Amazing HR Race

For my work we had our HR annual meetings mid November this year.  We had meetings for 3 days straight - lots of planning, discussions, finding our strengths, weaknesses, and setting goals.  For one afternoon our boss set up a team building activity.  Yes, we are so like the tv show "The Office".

I'm competitive when I can be, but this time I didn't get put with any other competitive people.  This made it difficult for me and since I was the one trying to rush everyone around the whole time, while also driving and navigating, etc... I was exhausted and not sure it was "so fun" like everyone else raved about.  Plus, we lost the race.  Sad day!

If you haven't seen the TV show - The Amazing Race - you should.  It's quite funny and also neat to see all the different countries they visit each episode.  For our HR race, we raced all over Utah, well SLC County...
  • The Up House - there's a replica of the Up house made from the movie
  • Visit the Gateway Mall and find a tile with the name "Burbank" on it - yeah there were over 5000 tiles, we didn't find it.  This was when I gave up!
  • Visit the SLC firehouse and slide down the pole!!!  Okay, that was fun!
  • Find Emmigration Square
  • Visit the UT Capital and find lots of historical information there, and buy a suvenier
  • Visit "This is the Place" and count the men in the statues....
  • Visit the U of U and the Olympic Torch
And all the while doing the above we had to take pictures or count steps or find some obscure fact....  All in all if the teams had been more even this would be a great activity!  Especially I can see for YW/YM in the church, singles wards, or even an FHE activity for a big/extended family.  Maybe I'll put it together someday.  We ended at a co-worker's house and had dinner and found out the winners.
Yes, this was our attempt to get points even though we didn't find the "Burbanks"  (David & I went back to Gateway and I still can't find it - this is a sore subject)
Luckily I was a good sport and even though we lost by tons (we counted something way wrong and lost 60 points!) I finished, right??  I did tons of driving and just glad to be done.  I also realized that even though I live in Utah I haven't taken enough time to see all of Utah.  We're going to have to do that over this next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment