Clarks 2013

Clarks 2013

Monday, May 25, 2015

I Sustain our Prophet - Conf April 2015

I wish I had written thoughts down right after conference ended, but I'll have to dig and remember what I had wanted to write, because I did want to write a few things.

Conference was great as usual - uplifting to hear from our leaders; a time for me to reflect and decide to be better; and a faith strengthener.  We also have a little one who took some attention away from the talks and spirit so I will look forward to reading it all later.  Tyson was cute to point at all the speakers and each time say Prophet and such.  Fun that we had started to teach the Latter Day Prophet Song not too long before, perfect timing.

The unusual part of conference this time was when they presented the prophet and apostles leaders names for a sustaining vote.  We all can raise our right hand to sustain or not, but there was a small group in the conference center that shouted "no" at that moment.  My heart just sank.  President Uchtdorf handled it well and told them he took a note and for them to talk with their local stake leadership.  This hasn't happened since 1977 although it has happened a few times since the church was organized, but first in my lifetime.

I know people don't sustain our prophet, but why come and spend time doing that?  Making a point and putting your issues above the church, and in a manner of yelling it out - just really hurt me and I'm sure a lot of us watching.  I wanted to jump into my screen and tell President Monson that I do sustain him and lots of us do and lets just ignore these people.

If anything I have taken an extra feeling of love and support for our leaders.  Which is probably the opposite of what that group was trying to do.  I will treasure the times I can raise my hand and say to our prophet - I believe in you and what you teach and I will follow you.



No comments:

Post a Comment