Well, there has been some DRAMA at work, to say the least. But it sure does make an eventful day. Let's review - I work at LANDesk Software in South Jordan, very close to the Jordan River temple. I do "HR", even though I studied Finance. I am the one with the least experience so I get to do the stuff no one likes I guess. I started doing data entry for the HR data system. I still do that, but I'm so glad they've let me branch out a bunch. We have the New Hire meetings and Orientations, benefits to help them sign up for, payroll to get figured out, issues and problems to solve...that's basically my job - solving problems! It's good though. And then last week I did my first lay offs, which were hard - but totally need that experience. So, I've worked here since May 19th of 2008. It was a rocky start, going to Florida for training, being left with a bunch of stuff that no one knew how to train me on, etc. It was kind of a mess and I just kept telling myself and everyone that I liked it, even though I wasn't sure yet. Sadly, I didn't go to work all excited to be there. BUT...it has changed!!! I LOVE IT!! And the sad part is that the real turning point was the layoffs. So, I think what really changed was that I finally proved myself worthy of HR. And the rest of my team and other managers feel confident and trust in me more than just to do the paperwork. It's great to feel that I can do it and people trust me. So, that means I'm in the "group" now. My boss, the other HR girl, and the lawyers, we all can laugh and joke about all the funny HR stuff or DRAMA that goes on around here.
Honestly, we should write down all the stuff we hear/see. Here are a few funny things:
- A guy asked Shannon who was single on the 4th floor because he wanted to know who he could date; that's obviously confidential, but can't you just look at the girls finger?
- We had a couple secretaries who were out to get each other - it was so bad! It was kinda childish and stupid to see grown women yelling at or ignoring each other etc...
- Our "recruiter" - She sits next to me in the cubes that HR and Legal have. This has been the most recent drama. So - she is one of those people that EVERYONE knows, because she likes to come over and talk about her day, her kids, her Gyno appointment, the meds she's taking, and everything. And you think that's bad? No, since we hired her in October, I can honestly tell you all about her life. And not only because she tells me - but because she tells everyone on the phone that she talks to. And she's pretty loud. I could "quote" her because I hear the drama of her life that day. Either her daughter got a speeding ticket - once - but I heard the story 20 times...or she moved and is getting settled in, etc. Everyone in my office thinks that I'm the MOST patient person because I am the one who deals with the Payroll people who are pretty stupid in Alabama. But, last Friday, I had had enough and I was ready to poke my eye out or something. Our recruiter was extra loud and all of us around her were IMing about how loud she was and that she was on one phone call for 1 hour, and it was basically all personal. I could just go on and on about her - how she doesn't show up some days, etc. ... But her life is always a drama. And last week she was talking so loud that my boss in her office with a door could hear her - so my boss Jayne sends her a nice e-mail saying to just be a bit quieter because we are all trying to work. Well, after that she freaked out and printed the e-mail and we all became her drama - she asked us all who tattled on her and went to the boss etc. And then she didn't talk to anyone of us the next day. What's sad is that we all really enjoyed the peace and quiet. And I got a lot more done because I wasn't going crazy with the stories. This drama is definitely NOT over with - it will be interesting to follow - I'm not sure how long she'll be with us - I think if she doesn't move desks, and we don't start hiring, we're basically paying her to chat about her personal life all day and we aren't going to survive for much longer. Well, we'll see what happens next week. More drama for sure! It's fun though now that I have "friends" and am trusted a bit more, we all just laugh etc. I guess it's a click that I'm in now, sad to say that, but I'm glad that I've finally proved myself here. Ciao
Andrea! I was thinking about you yesterday and was going to email you to see how the move went and everything and then I got your email about your new blog! Yay, I'm so excited! You mentioned that you didn't want mass amounts of people reading it. You could always make it private. I'm also requesting pics of your new place.:) Your work sounds so entertaining.:) I could write down all the funny HR stuff that happens and then write a book about it.:) I'm glad that it's more enjoyable now. Work is so much better when you don't dread going to it in the morning. I bet you're really good at your job. HR seems like a good fit for you. I'm so excited about more Andrea posts! Love you!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I meant to say "YOU could write down all the funny HR stuff that happens and then write a book about it" hehehehe not me. ;)
ReplyDelete