Clarks 2013

Clarks 2013

Monday, July 19, 2010

Work Stress

Lately I've been LOVING my job. I really haven't written much about work since I got married... wonder why :) But I've still been working as usual and liking it more and more each day. Work has actually changed a lot in the last few months. I'm not sure all that I've reviewed but here are some highlights and possibly stories:
  • One of our team went out on maternity leave so I moved into her role more dealing more with benefits and compensation as well as my whole job too. She left unexpectedly and I had a whole huge merit project as well as learning benefits on my plate. I did it, except really couldn't do 2 jobs. Our boss let us find a temp to come in for at least the 3 months and maybe permanently. So, I interviewed with my boss and we finally found someone that would fit our team great. My boss said that the person we found sounded a lot like me 2 years ago. That was still a complement to me because this girl we found is like me and we wanted to hire her. She's started and helped out a whole ton! I gave her lots and trained her a lot and really took over her first few months by helping her and giving her all she needed to do, more like her side manager. Anyway, she's still here and it's been great to see all the changes we've been able to make as well as how she's grown.
  • Selling our company - our company is still up for being sold. We were told in January and are still waiting to find the best buyer... the hard part is just that we're in uncertainty and it's hard to hire, keep employees, and just help our current employees feel good about where they are. But the good part about our company branching out is that we have a lot, TONS of say in all our HR processes. Before we were more told what we could do and now we have a chance to really make more of a difference.
  • Manager Training!!! So, for over a month we've been putting together a training for our managers. It sort of just evolved and our boss let us run with it. I also evolved to being the project manager. I'm not sure I wanted the role, but i just felt like I didn't have a choice, nothing would get done without me pushing, seriously pushing every day. I learned a ton about being a team lead. We documented all our processes and put them into a binder for our manager. We had about 50 pages to have a printing company put together. All covering how to hire, interview, new hire orientation, HR processes, performance reviews, etc. Once now that the binder is done, we've been having a 1/2 day training for all managers (about 80). We've had 4 classes so far with about 15 managers. There are 3 of us that take about 1.5 hours each. I also looked up some Office clips and have played those as well as ordered food, set up the room, put the binders that were printed together, and did the presentation! Yikes... training takes a lot of work. I'm pretty behind in regular work since we have this a few times a week. I do love presenting and talking to the managers though. I was nervous but now it's fun and if the class is silly it's just so entertaining.
  • Awards Program - we're finally rolling out a new awards program. I have re-done this program at least 2 times, and this last time we are finally going with it. I'm proud to have helped develop the program... basically though it's pretty similar with a new name and hopefully will help our employees know a bit more of what they can submit awards for.
  • New Hire Orientation - we've also 'upgraded' this class where now I'm teaching 1 hour and an executive stafff member teaches one hour about the company. I share benefits and payroll info with lots of questions. It's fun being in front and now we only have the class every two weeks and they get a nice cute LANDesk bag and stuff too. But it's just a lot of preparation still. But if it makes it an enjoyable entry into the company, we're successful.
  • Compensation - I've learned a lot about compensation with one staff member being gone. I also learned about how some things that are said to be done and right really aren't. There was a lot to fix regarding bonuses and merit increases back in March, but I think it was good for me to jump into the fire even though I was lost for a bit.
  • Future projects include fixing our Performance Evaluations for the end of the year, re-creating our intranet, employee directory on-line, starting a newsletter, and a lot of database trainings as well. We're still in limbo but soon to find out who will buy us probably. There will be more changes after that. I'm sure learning how to cope with the changes or how to be proactive at changing.

Work has been great. Hard to cover all that has been going on, but that was a brief summary. As for the DRAMA at work, of course, there's always TONS. I'm not usually in it totally, but there have been days that I just want to go home because I have to do too much reminding people, or fixing problems that I asked to be fixed, or just the drama. It's hard with girl teams sometimes and feelings hurt and mean things people say. I just don't get too involved hopefully unless they drive me crazy and I just ignore them... David gets to hear all about it. He also tells me that sometimes I come home from work in the "work mode" - yeah probably. I either have energy to get projects done, or start bossing him around and giving him projects just because I do that so often at work...haha... Glad he can put up with it. I'm still lucky that I don't work on nights or weekends unless I see an e-mail that needs addressing. So, work is just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment