** Story changed a bit so I could share**
There's an employee I've been working with who is taking a medical leave for health issues... And this week another employee (apparently a friend of the sick employee) who came to me and said:
Friend of employee: "I know what's wrong and how to help __ (said person) get better!! And I just need you to help me encourage them to do this, okay??"
Me: (Hesitant to even answer as all is private) "What?"
Friend: "They need to go to CHURCH!!!" and more details of how it will make them better...
Me: speechless... then kicked in to employment law and more info you don't need to hear.
Maybe you don't work in HR all day long and go to trainings about Employment Law, but there are certain rights and do's and dont's at work and that "friend" just crossed the line on many of them. He's encouraging A TON of people at work to do this and I had to quickly STOP him. We can't try and persuade someone to go to church or any religion as that would make a hostile work environment. Can you imagine if the employee felt like their job was in jeopardy because they weren't attending a certain religion???
Anyway, I'm still shocked! And still trying to help the "friend" understand because yes, I'm LDS too, but it just can't happen. I went on a mission, I knocked on doors, and sometimes examples are all we can be. If someone approaches us, we can share, if not, we can't. Especially as managers, HR, or really anyone with influence that would jeopardize your and their job.
And I'm laughing because WOW, even though you aren't in HR, it seems pretty normal that you can't harass people on all sorts of subjects - medical, sexual, gender, race, and religion is one of them too. And I also thought it was funny because yes, church is wonderful, but it doesn't always FIX or SOLVE problems. It helps us bear our burdens but it can't take them all away, sometimes we're meant for those trials. And there's a lot more than just church. I can see where he's coming from as in support or something, but blanket statements like that get us into trouble religiously too.
Another day in HR... I get more and more crazy things daily.
On a side note but fairly relevant - I'm very excited for General Conference!!
Andrea, I had never thought of this as a HR standpoint so interesting, but I am like the 'friend' and think church only improves life for everyone. Often times I think that when I am talking to people. When the friend said 'church' what they really meant is the Savior and the with God all things are possible right? If the introduction to the church happened outside a work setting, like at dinner for example, would that change any of the laws? Or if the friend wasn't a superior? just curious
ReplyDeleteHi Brooke! So, I totally agree that the gospel does help us get through everything and brings comfort. We'll still have trials though and this guy was trying to tell the employee that going to church would solve everything and make sickness go away, etc... if that makes sense??
ReplyDeleteAnyway, yes its generally just fine to share the gospel outside of work. It only gets muddier when it's a boss or manager that could retaliate against the employee if they don't go to their church or fire them for that etc... So thats why it's harder for those management. But it's all GOOD and great to share especially if someone asks us to tell us about LDS or anything. And we can bring it up outside of work, but just shouldn't make it a hostile work environment because they could complain to management and then our job would be in jeopardy because we were trying to harass them about their religion.
Hope that helps answer the question. Usually religion and sharing the gospel isn't too much of a problem especially in Utah or where LDS is well known, but with this person I didn't share the whole story of how awkward this was getting as he tried to get the whole company to persuade them to come to church (making the other persons work environment horrible as they were dealing with sickness)....
Thanks...should have figured there wwas more to the story. Plus personalities come in to play...I have been out of the workforce for so long
ReplyDelete