Clarks 2013

Clarks 2013

Saturday, July 27, 2013

My bad habit came back

Okay rather than make you read through the LONGISH story to find out what habit has come back, I'll give the summary.  In case you didn't know, I've had vasovagal syncope since I was 12 but since I've been married, David has really helped it - he makes me laugh and gets the blood back to my head before I pass out.  Way to go!  So it has been awhile... until now.... :(

We took a birthing class for 4 weeks from mid May to mid June.  There were 8 other couples in class with us.  I was excited yet a little nervous for these classes as I wasn't sure what to expect and know that I have a squeamish side.  Week one, the agenda was to learn more about pregnancy side effects, relieving pain and pre-term labor signs.  I was concerned, but no need - even when we watched 3 real births on video (and yes they were VHS tapes from the 80's!) I did great!  And while the birth process is a miracle and such, I didn't really like seeing another woman fully and a kid pop out!  Especially since they didn't warn us ahead of time.  So to say the least, I went home a little shocked and concerned that I'd be doing that myself soon enough - pressure!  But not on video :)

Well, week 2 went well too.  Our teacher sped through everything so I'm not sure how much was retained, but it was a good basic overview and some techniques to use during labor.  I've decided to have an epidural so some of the class didn't mean as much to me since I won't be in a bathtub or walking around after I get the drugs.  I did think about natural birth for a good while at the beginning but decided not to for now.  Knowing me, and David does too, I don't handle pain well, so it's not going to work w/out.  I mean, feet cramps bring me to tears, so that's a sign.  One of my midwives said that if I was not sure, but not really planning and preparing to go natural, that I might as well not try to stick through the pain, but find relief much earlier and get the epidural when I'm uncomfortable.  It sounded right to me, so we'll try it.  And then I hope I will enjoy this process a little more.

Class week 3 we learned about epidurals.  And we had a different teacher - who was much more long winded...  After the first hour she popped in a VHS for us to watch comparing natural to an epidural birth.  Well, I was at least a pro at watching births, but now the epidural would apply to me so I was not sure but did want to see the epidural process...  BUT, apparently I didn't want to watch or learn about the epidural.  I was sitting there watching (and it was a lot of detail) and started not to feel very well - hot and nauseous.  After a few minutes I couldn't shake it with water or anything so I told David - I was sweating a ton too.  I was afraid I may throw up and there we were sitting in the middle of the room with couples behind and all around us basically.  We were sitting in our own 2 seat section, but all in the same general area.  I didn't catch the signs till the very end when I grabbed David and told him "I'm going to pass out!" and seconds later I crashed towards his shoulder and he just held me there as I laid limp on him next to me.  From behind, maybe it just looked like I fell asleep?  I came to soon after - hearing the ringing in my ears and feeling like I've napped for hours... The movie was still going, no one had noticed, and David just got me more water and fruit snacks to eat and rubbed my arm.  (As a side note - passing out is embarrassing to me so I didn't want anyone to know why I was dripping with sweat or laying limp on D's shoulder - which is funny looking back, I should have not cared, but I did)  Well we sat through the rest of the video but David gave me my phone to distract me since the epidural part was still going and I just wasn't handling that very well.  We made it through the movie and had a break, walked around, and stayed for the next half of the class.  About 30 min after the incident, our teacher was talking (about who knows what at this point for me!) and I got the sick feeling again.  Dang it!  But I was so nauseous that I was starting to hope it was a fainting thing again.  Yep!  I pulled David back towards me just in time to pass out again, similar fashion except this time with the lights on during the lecture.  When I was up again, no one had noticed, or said anything - even the teacher!  And silly us, we just proceeded to sit there through the rest of the class.  And then we even took the tour of the hospital (we're not even delivering there) after because we got off on the wrong floor even though we tried to escape and not do that part.

We had a good laugh on the way home and it just surprised us a bunch since I hadn't done that for awhile.  But pregnancy brings back the fun, not fun! things.  The next day as I had told a few people, everyone said I needed to report to the midwives, so I called them.  Even with my past of fainting, they wanted me to come in that day and get checked out just as a precaution.  Well that worried me, but it was really just to make sure baby boy was okay.  He had been moving still, but I hadn't thought about that, so glad I called them.  My blood pressure was LOW low when I was at the office and that's really what they think made me pass out 2x - I just couldn't get it high enough.  So they've suggested iron, but other than that, just more water and sit down if dizzy.  Luckily, I did have a few dizzy spells, but no fainting!  But I can't listen to gruesome stories again and try to tune out anything so that I don't accidentally pass out again during this pregnancy.

Now the task is just to make it through delivery without going down.  The midwives know and joked saying maybe I'll need to lie down the whole labor, but sadly, they could be right!  Although, I honestly think that in real live situations with myself in pain and such, I won't have an issue - I'll be freaking out - but not passing out.  The stupid video was just a hot dark room and sitting for awhile and then just watching over and over that crappy needle and side effects - got to me.  Why watch an epidural video? Even when I get it, I won't have to or be able to watch my own!?

We graduated from our birth class, me, without learning much there the second half :).  I wasn't too concerned until I had my first contraction pains, which put me in a little panic, and so I read the whole birth booklet they had given us, which I did just fine and hopefully have enough knowledge to get me through this labor when it does come.  Ah, scary!  But excited to meet our little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment