Clarks 2013

Clarks 2013

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Birth Story - Part 3 (Recovery)

Continued from the last two posts...

Friday August 9, 2013 12:00pm
Well as I mentioned, they measured my blood platelets and they were too low to pull the epidural out, while they said it should go up after delivery... nope :(.  But I was also stuck on the magnesium for 24 hours as well so I was completely stuck in bed, still hot, weak, sick and also bothered with the epidural in my back!  And I was just uncomfortable and sad that I was really too weak to sit up or hold Tyson properly even.  David was good to help bring him to me and such.  The day went by like a blur - blood draws every 4 hours, blood pressure every hour, catheter checking, food and liquids (which I drank and ate a ton!!) brought and taken away.  We really didn't get much sleep.  Plus we were calling family and friends and texting the news.  But, I was still too sick and tired to do much of anything, when I say "we" it was David who was contacting everyone.  I was in the mode of - I don't care about anything right now - medicine talking for sure!  Once when the medicine was low in the bag, I could tell immediately how I was starting to feel better, only until they hooked me to a new bag :(.  Anyway, we had a few visitors that day - Shayla, my Dad & Diane, and Holly & Andrew.  I was trashed, and very puffy from all the fluid sitting in me.  I also had those leg wraps on to prevent clots too.

11:30pm
At this point one of my blood platelet tests were going up, not to 200, where they needed to be to head to recovery, but enough that the doctors got permission that they were going to move us to recovery soon.  So instead of sending Tyson upstairs to the nursery they said they were getting a room ready for us, so we just waited.  Still without much sleep, we packed up and watched Tyson a bit, as well as fed him (as I was doing every 3 hours or so at this point I think).

The nurse helped me stand up for just 3 minutes probably, and helped get me a little cleaner.  I really could barely stand with my legs and feet so swollen.  Really that was so gross!  I tried to put on shoes, didn't fit.  Then even the hospital socks were cutting of circulation, so I just kept a blanket over them.  I was afraid they would pop!  Or my toe ring would cause some issues soon.  Standing for 2 minutes was really awkward also because I had so many IV's and epidural, and catheter hooked to me.  Also I just wish someone had told me how bloody this all would be!  But I guess you don't know even when others tell you.

3:30am
After waiting 4 hours to go upstairs, they finally came and wheeled us all up.  We were exhausted, cranky, and I was starting to get weepy.  I just needed some moments to sleep and get all these cords out of me!  Well, we arrived to a WAY too peppy nurse assistant - who wanted to chat with us for an hour about all the policies of the recovery room, and also all the booklets to read and at the time, we didn't care and just wanted to kick her out!  She finally left, we sent Tyson to the nursery and we slept for a few hours (except Tyson came back a time or two to get some food and I also kept being monitored).  The magnesium stopped too, wahoo!  And then soon after they took the epidural and catheter out as well.  It was still daunting to us the restroom but with a nurse assisting, it happened.  An experience hard to describe/too personal probably for this anyway.

Saturday August 10, 2013
Well we had a bunch of visitors, and while that was nice and all, I was in no way prepared for all the emotions that were headed my way and it was hard to juggle it all.  My hormones were going crazy, we were trying to learn how to breastfeed (Tyson was doing good, but later I realize we probably didn't know how to latch him properly so I was in a lot of pain for another 2 months from those first few days), I was trying to learn to walk, sit up, and use the bathroom.  And then my Dad & Diane were there most of the day, while the rest of the group just popped in: Steph and Jan, Amber and Brandon, Jan Vernon-Smith, Jonathan.  A few friends wanted to come but I just had to say no, I really couldn't handle more visitors.  One lesson learned - keep visitors to a minimum and staying for only a few minutes.

We also watched Tyson's first bath, he squirmed a ton, but it was so cute.

Sunday August 11, 2013
My blood had finally risen at least some, that the doctors were comfortable releasing me this day.  I was SO excited.  We had walked some so I was getting better.  We also went to a breastfeeding class in the morning and had our "couples" lunch together before leaving.  The nurse we had was not so nice and wanted to kick us out, but don't worry, we weren't wanting to stay longer than we had to either :)  I really wanted to go home and get some sleep.  Hahah, like that would happen.  Tyson also had to get his foot pricked and also circumcised, David went with him, and then helped him get dressed in the outfit we bought for him.  For me, the saddest part of today was knowing that come tomorrow, David would be at school!!!  And I could barely walk up and down the stairs at our house, go to the bathroom, and even barely carry Tyson.  It was going to be a rough week.  The Clarks came and visited Sunday evening, each kid taking a turn getting to hold him. 

I was exhausted after it all and then Monday sure did come...  But I did have a few helpers which I greatly appreciate as I had to do several trips out to the doctor, pharmacy, etc.  Maybe I'll write another entry on the first few weeks, but for now here are some lovely pics of everyone meeting Tyson at the hospital and then us "bringing Tyson home with us!"


Nana & Baba
Grandpa and Grandma Clark
Our recovery room
And the bath...
Awe - facial expressions already starting
 
What a ride! But we made it home, and it has been so fun to have this little guy with us.  We are the luckiest parents ever.  Tyson is just the best gift, and we already love him so much.

1 comment: