Interviews. Yay! Check something else off of my education to do list!! Okay, still lots to learn, but still...
It was an exciting week last week...our HR department will be reorganizing a bit, and as such, we are hiring an HR Director to manage our SLC site while my boss moves up the ranks. Since sometimes we hire people that are crazy, my boss wanted Shannon and I to be part of the interviewing process. Wow!
I set up the interviews for each candidate, organized all the VP schedules to meet with them in a group interview, and then scheduled Shannon and myself to meet with the candidates as well. (breathe Andrea!) And it all worked according to plan!! Success! I was a bit nervous and started researching 100's of questions to ask on an interview. I've got a pretty good list now. But, man - widdling it down to just a few is a bit hard too. Shannon and I went in together and really only asked a couple questions each. Really to me, the questions we're just means to getting a feel for the person. People we interviewed were qualified, we just want the "best fit" - so I was more concerned about whether this person will be motivated, honest, fun, and maybe not be crazy like the last girl we let go in recruiting...
Okay so I don't necessarily have all the experience necessary after doing some interviews - but I sure enjoyed it. And it was also pretty exhausting as well. Just like interviewees have to be energetic and stuff, we too have to listen and try to feel out how this potential really could be. But, I liked it, and especially liked hearing the view points of the VP's and my boss after as well - and interestingly enough, we were usually catching the same things and on the same wave length. We haven't hired anyone yet, and we'll leave that up to my boss to decide.
A funny moment was when, before the 2nd day of interviews, our legal group next to us asked Shannon and I what the new Director of HR would do. I replied - hmm...not sure exactly! HR stuff... HAHA, dude, how can I be interviewing for a director position of stuff I have not learned yet?? (It get's funnier)... Then Shannon explained a bit more about how she thinks HR is doing a bit of reorganizing and that this director would be over her and I and take care of the SLC daily HR stuff. - Special Pause at this moment in the conversation for me to think and then let this hit me - WAIT!!! What??? We're hiring someone who's going to be our boss?? No way! What about Jayne (my boss now)...!! Okay so Shannon didn't know for sure, but later on it was confirmed - yes, this new person will be my boss and then Jayne will be their boss. SO - Maybe I want to do those interviews over again?? No wonder Shannon felt so awkward interviewing - cuz these people could be our boss!!! Ha, I was just going in and having fun thinking they'd just be on our HR team...la di da...
Maybe I want to ask them different questions!!:
- Can I still come in at 8:30ish and take a hour lunch and leave by 5?
- Can we sometimes duck out for movies or run an errand as needed?
- Are you desiring to help further my HR learning?
- Are you going keep our HR team lookin good or crazy and mean?
Okay, maybe those questions wouldn't be the best...huh... Funny though because I do feel a bit different about the candidates knowing they would be my boss. I liked one in particular since she was so smart and on top of it, but I could see a Nazi side to her now thinking about her over me....well, guess we'll see what everyone decides. Any way it goes it will be fun to say, yeah, I interviewed you - and yes, I had never done those before!! But, now I have :)
Side note: We do Relief Society visits 2x a week for my church. 3 gals and myself are in the presidency and we decided we wanted to try and visit ALL the 70+ gals. So, it's been great so far actually. It's neat to see so many different personalities and maybe make friends. And funny because last week after all these HR interviews I went into these "RS Visits" a heck of a lot different. I felt like I wanted to ask different searching questions and then was trying to read their answers a bit more. So, why did you want to be in our ward? What are some of your accomplishments? Yeah, that probably wouldn't have been the best friendly approach huh?? But, it was funny! How do these interviewers do it??
Side note to my side note: The only complaint about these visits is that I have to do all the scheduling!! Really, like it's a daily effort to contact and remind these girls we're coming to visit and coordinate us 4 along with the person we're visiting!! Last night it was enough to put me over the edge when another guy in the ward called and said - can you help me get a group together to play games tonight?? Honestly - do I have a sign that says - I can help you with your scheduling?? Or maybe I'm just sooo good or sooo loved that people can't plan things without me? That would totally be okay then. I'll just tell myself it's that so that I won't poke my eyes out!!
No comments:
Post a Comment