Clarks 2013

Clarks 2013

Saturday, September 25, 2010

My David is so brave!!

CAUTION: This post does mention blood and a bit of gross stuff, so if you don't want to hear about it... or see it... don't read this one....

David has had a lump on his back all year, and we didn't notice it too much until it started hurting him and rubbing against his lower ribs in his back.  Over the past few months we have noticed it just getting slightly bigger and more sensitive.  So next up, we went to the doctor.  We found out David had a tumor, fatty lump, in his back.  Yeah, kinda gross, but also cool because our doctor said he would remove it to check and make sure it was okay and get rid of the pain.

So we still had to wait a month or two to get it taken out, but over Labor Day we scheduled the appointment.  I went in with David on the Friday before at noon, so that I could be there as well as drive him home.  We weren't sure how painful it would be and for how long.  So, first off, I think everyone was more concerned with little me actually WATCHING a bloody event... but I made it through it :)  I didn't watch, but sat to where I couldn't see.  Wish I could have held David's hand, but the scalpel and tools were everywhere!!

David was great though.  I was nervous enough for him.  We got in and our doctor was pretty silly since he was headed to fly out of town for Labor Day after our appointment.  He numbed up the spot and had David on his side while he proceeded to cut open and pull out the bump.  According to David it just felt weird to feel someone pulling at your insides, but he was pretty numbed up luckily.  After it was out, took like 10 min, Doc sewed him up with a few stitches and taped it up as well.  David was turning pretty white and I could see all the red gauze all over... he was losing blood definitely.  So, we had him lie down still while our doctor told us that it wasn't just a fatty tumor as we thought.  It was actually a bunch of blood vessels clot together.  No wonder it was hurting anyway.  And the blood coming out...  It was bigger, but the doctor had to pull it out rather than "how easy the fat would pop out" is what he told us.  It has been sent to the lab and David is all clear.  It looks small but it was pretty big inside of him...
We went home, David still white, and we both took a nap for like 3 hours.  So nice for a Friday afternoon!  And it was nice too to have the whole weekend to ourselves w/out anything we had to go to :)...  David was in more pain than we thought all weekend.  Most things you do requires your back so that was tough.  Even sitting in one place was hard after awhile.  He slept on his stomach, sat w/out backs, walked slowly, couldn't lift anything, reach high, etc.  Poor guy, but he really didn't complain at all, I could tell he was in pain, but he's just not a complainer.  (unlike me totally!!)  But, we made it through with movies, ice cream, and lots of sleep for him.  The stitches came out a week later and the tissue is finally healing.
We're glad its over but at the same time, it was a fun weekend together all the time and I loved caring for my David.  First of many futures for me.  He's already taken care of me lots for my many colds, sicknesses, sore legs, feet, etc.  Finally it was my turn.  Glad you're okay David!

No comments:

Post a Comment