Clarks 2013

Clarks 2013

Friday, November 28, 2014

A Tribute to Grandpa Wilf Clark

Well only a few months after I posted how Grandpa Clark beat cancer and was on the mend...  He took a turn for the worst and got sick with a few things such as sepsis but while staying in the hospital got a C-diff infection.  They did everything they could be eventually the hospital sent him home to spend his last few days there, which turned into weeks actually before he headed home home.

We were able to visit him in the hospital the Friday evening (Oct 3rd) we found out he wasn't doing well.  Then Sunday we were at the Clarks when he was brought home via ambulance.  He was happy to be home but he wasn't expected to live much longer.  We said our goodbye's but he decided to hang around over 2-3 more weeks.  He started to get better for a bit and even asked to go to Costco to get grapes.  Sadly though with the C-diff he couldn't eat really so he was stuck not able to enjoy some last bits of life.  But I hope he could feel our love as we all visited him over and over telling him to enjoy the next stage and say hi to Grandma Clark.  While we all had to be careful of catching the C-diff, I was brave enough to take off the gloves and hold his hand a few times those last few visits.  Our last visit with him we brought Tyson in the room since he kept wanting to go in anyway and we told him that was Grandpa as usual and he was very sweet and Grandpa was happy to see him.  We had a good last visit with him.  After that we just waited for the call and prayed for a peaceful last days all the time.  His last day was October 16, 2014 around 7pm he was called home.  The Clarks were near by having dinner and I'm sure he heard the normal family sounds and felt of our love.

During this weeks, it was really hard to watch and hear about Grandpa getting closer to the end and really having a trial with it - in that some days he was suffering more than others, and not able to eat, and nothing more could be done to get him better.  I know the Clarks were there all the time and saw him in his best and worst and as Andrew said, it was a privilege to serve him in his last days.  That has stuck with me.  Because before the end, I was wondering why we couldn't do more to not have him suffer and really just help him go.  (Lots in the media this month about a woman who was choosing when to die because of her terminal cancer)  But after thinking more and reading more from our church leaders and members I realized we may have trials all the way to the very end of our life and it's not our decision to send someone home early but that it is God's choice when we come and go.  This helped me a lot.

Below is an excerpt from Grandpa Clark's obituary.  He was a great example, very loving and strong in his faith till the end.  I know we were excited for his reunion with his wife who passed in 1998.  He is happy, not in pain or dealing with an aging body, and watching from above while working hard too I'm sure.



The viewing was on October 22, and funeral October 23.  A few tears were shed, good memories shared, and then the last goodbye seeing him for awhile.  When we took Tyson to the casket he'd point and say Grandpa every time!  Which of course got me to tears, but I was happy he knew who he was and hope we keep it that way with his pictures.  It was nice to spend time with family and celebrate Wilfrid Clark's life.  I know it was hard on David to say goodbye but he was very strong and supported his family and parents very well.  During the viewing we all were able to meet the missionary who converted Wilfrid in England.  Elder Marcusen is now older himself but what a special experience that got us all to tears.  Without this man sharing the gospel, none of us would have been where we are.  And that includes our marriage, really all of our marriages in the family.




I spent many hours making the funeral picture video for the Clarks.  It was a very very special experience.  And also lots of work, but so worth it.  I learned a lot about him and felt him close by sometimes.  Also a couple of the songs I put on the video had just popped in my head and I figured they needed to be there.  We made copies for everyone there as well and also saved all images for everyone to have those scanned in now.  A gift to Wilfrid, showing how full his life was, and how loved he was.  We love you Grandpa and will miss you but will see you again!










 FUNERAL






















No comments:

Post a Comment