Today and all this week I am the ONLY HR rep here at work for these 250 + employees in the office. Can you say Yikes?? Nope, so far, there haven't been any blowups from employees, payroll problems, severance agreement problems...only a few benefit problems. But, by the end of this week, I'm sure something will come up. HR = problems. And always new ones. Ones I have no idea how to solve. But, last week I was told that I'm officially becoming "HR" - because I know how to give B.S.... bull... Yeah. Not sure if that's a good thing, but I do have to agree. When people come up and say - what is this weird list on my paystub?? I just say - hmm... It's a mistake - don't worry, you still have a check, it should be gone next week. Yeah, even though I have no idea what they're talking about nor do I know if it will go away. As long as I act like I know what I'm talking about, people feel secure and don't worry too much. So, giving bull might be the answer in HR?? At least this week it will be since I don't have a boss or anyone else to help me figure this stuff out. And another great idea - I just say - hmm... that's a good question, let me refer you to Mr. So n so or something. I'll get back to you about that. Just give it to someone else if you don't want to deal with it. Wow, the things I'm learning this week! Don't worry I'm sure I'll have lots of stressful stories later on. Actually I hope so, because if not, you will have nothing exciting to read on here, but I will probably write a lot because I'm b-o-r-e-d!
Maybe I should start a problem?? Naw... not today at least...
Your job sounds fun. Where is everyone? Keep writing down your funny HR experiences for your book. :) I have a question about HR for you. Who do YOU really try to please: the people or the company you work for? I mean HR is supposed to be for the people but the people aren't paying you. Just wanted the insight of an insider.
ReplyDeleteUhhh good question! HR is kinda the "middle man" - We try to please both the employees and the employers. If you're higher in HR I think the point is to be a valuable asset to the employer by telling them what the employees need. But in my bottom of the todem pole job so far - I don't work as much with the employer, but always with the employee. If they're happy then I'm happy. I'm a pleaser anyway, but if they think HR is helping them and trying all we can - then we're good - and usually that'll get back to the big employer anyway. So - we please everyone?? But I work more with employees. Maybe that helps??
ReplyDeleteYou are so funny. That post made me laugh. The HR at my "work" (I guess you could call it that) seems to know more than the owner. He is the hub of our gym. What a stressful job.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Spring. Why did you get left alone?