Yeah, we all know that song. Elder Dallin H. Oaks wife came and spoke to all the Stake RS Sisters last night and she said that she actually ROCKS OUT to this song all the time. So, actually I love this song too!! A bit of background... Sister Kristin Oaks got married after she was in her 50's and loves to speak to us single women. So, she did. And I feel very motivated and wanted to share a few of her insights. Mostly I'm paraphrasing, plus I had another friend who made some notes too, so I might remember a bit from what she wrote as well...
Sister Oaks is one of those older women that I just want to be like someday! She has a strong testimony of Christ and a bit of fun and quarkiness to her! Her topic was "You can't hurry love" and she focused on the 5 key elements to building a testimony to bettering our lives. These 5 are - Know God is our Heavenly Father and loves us, Know that Jesus Christ is His Son and our Savior, Know that Joseph Smith is a prophet and translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God, Know that the B.O.M. is true and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is His restored church, and Know that President Monson is the living Prophet today. Here are a few of the main points I gleaned:
- It's what you do while you wait that makes the difference
This makes so much sense - no matter what we're waiting for - grocery line, a house, children, a spouse, finding a job... It seems like as people we are always waiting for the next best thing. But we need to find "Joy in the Journey" (Pres. Monson) and make every second count. We can't go back and do things over. Everyday we have an opportunity for growth. Carpe Diem!
- Salvation is an individual experience
It is important to reach out and help each other out, but in the end - we can't change anyone but our self. This gospel is about us individually using the Atonement and drawing to our Savior. Being single or having a family, we all will be responsible for US only and have to hope our loved ones follow towards Christ as well.
- A lot of us would rather be #1 in hell then a lowly door keeper in the Kingdom of God
Women are so good at comparing and hoping to just be better than the Jones etc. I laughed at this comment, but it is so true really! How many of us rather than trying to just be the best we can be, we'd rather be the best of everyone, and in turn, we're headed down the wrong path.
- Emotional Pain is a gift from God and we should be thankful to have this experience
We will have hard experiences. This life is a blessing, even the trials. We might not feel that way during those times, but we should be on our knees thanking the Lord for letting us feel. Yes us women probably feel too much! Some of my trials have helped me know how to love like I've never loved. I wouldn't trade that for anything. Other people might know about pain or sickness, etc and in turn they can be so happy for health and miracles. I don't know if I'm getting this across as I'm hoping, but maybe you understand.
- The only protection we have is our personal worthiness
Don't think - "everything's going to turn out for the best" but instead, know that we have to be worthy and then we can receive the blessings.
- The Lord doesn't measure anything but your HEART
Do we smile enough at others? Do we attend the temple and read our scriptures? Do we deeply want to be better? It doesn't matter what we've done or how much we have...
- We have temptations that only people today face - don't let Satan waste your time here
Our temptations are endless - even Facebook, blogs, Internet, TV, they can be good - but they waste SO MUCH of our time!! I'm just thinking now, when I look back at my life - will I be happy for the many hours I spent watching TV, or on the Internet? I'm sure there are much better things I could be doing and be proud of doing instead! Stupid Satan.
- "My first goal wasn't marriage, but it was to be a disciple of Christ"
I love this quote. Goes right along with my earlier post "Priorities". I need to get this straight!
- Our capacity to love isn't decreased by our circumstances
We have so much love to give as women and we need to look for ways to serve and give our love so that it can grow even more. Even if I don't have a family or kids, I can still find people to care for just as much as a wife or mother would. Don't diminish your potential love.
- "Be Bold, it's God's word!!"
Amen sista! Missionary Work! Whoo whoo.
- Don't be bitter, have dreams and have a grateful heart
- "At this time and this place - if you are following the commandments - you are supposed to be single and you have a purpose and duty to fulfill. You might be get married in a month, or years, but right now you are where you are supposed to be."
I loved that last thing she said. She said I'm supposed to be here right now. And it kinda sunk in - man she's right! I mean, I haven't missed my turn to get a Mr. Right yet... I'm just not there yet! I can't hurry Love. I have other things to do right now. I'll find it someday. This was a great motivational lesson! But even after I was wishing for that man to come. Dang! I've got a lot to learn :) But, I've changed my BLOG title for now so that I can remember I need to really do everything NOW and stop waiting for that future moment in life. Hope you feel inspired as well - no matter the path you are on at the moment.
Thanks for being in the right place at the right time to hear this talk and for sharing it. I think your getting a lot of inspiration in your life. I loved the DUMB DEVIL comment. Your mama.
ReplyDelete