Clarks 2013

Clarks 2013

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Lessons Learned

Have patience
Trust in God and His timing
I don't need all the control
It will work out, if not today, eventually

These lessons seem to be laced through my life so far.

Maybe some of the only or biggest lessons I have to keep learning.

I really hope I can learn all I need to on these and not have to keep going back to them, but I guess this is what life is for - to learn and grow through joy and trials.  We get both - joy & trials.

Latest lesson - Rental up for Sale
We almost had to move out of our home after the 1st year here because the owners decided to put the townhouse up for sale.  Even though they knew we were in dental school and planning to be long term renters.  This was really SAD for me.  Finally a home we loved, Tyson's first, great ward, close to trax, lots of space and enough rooms to grow... The list went on and on.  I loved even the problems with it.  We looked into buying, or having friends/family buy and it just didn't work.  We found another place to rent in the same complex - way lucky but kind of silly to move just a street away... But after we told the owners we may leave but we'd be happy to stay if they didn't sell (I'm such a bully!) they decided to give up on selling, no offers in 2 months.  Seriously so happy we got to stay.  And while I was STRESSING and trying to CONTROL our outcome - I still felt some PEACE knowing that somehow it would work out if we weren't supposed to be here anymore.  I didn't know how we could feel that way when someday someone would walk in and decide to buy it - oh those potential buyers are so annoying, at least 1-2 people came to check it out almost everyday for 2 months.  Good that's over and that we didn't have to pack up and move a few houses down all summer.  Stressing already took too much time out of our precious months.

As we got to the end of this trial, I was reminded of a few other trials with the same lessons and all about "waiting".  Most of my trials are all the same!?!?

Waiting for a husband
Waiting to get into dental school
Waiting for kids

So far, these lessons turned out and did happen, just not on my schedule.  I know it could have happened another way, but I'm blessed to just wait for a time and then, as God is all knowing, get what was needed and when.  The trial is the "waiting", not not getting it, for me.

A few other lessons to write more about someday:
Waiting for a man, that was hard.  It was something I had dreamt about since forever.  I wanted a family that was forever.  25 isn't old to find your man, but at the time it sure felt like it.  But I was able to experience college, a mission and working before "settling down".  Although it would have been nice to have that support earlier, I had to learn on my own and lean on other family.

Dental school was a hard trial just because we didn't know what was coming in our future for a good few years.  It wasn't just David's trial that I pulled him through but we were both in it as it affected us both.

And the biggest trial was trying to get pregnant.  Waiting for years, visiting doctors, tests and lots of shots and blood work, and finally success.  It was the hardest trial of all so far and I wish it on no one.  It is something I will someday write more on when I have the time to really pull my thoughts together.  Not something to hide even though it's a private matter to us.  It's much more common than I ever knew and it would have been nice to have more support from those with similar situations.

Then there are the trials where you wait and it never comes.  I'd say that trial is a lot harder.  It's not just patience at that time, but just trust and acceptance that God knows better.  And we may not be able to look back and understand WHY for many years or until the next life.  I ache for those who go through the even harder trials while most of mine I only experience just a small portion.  I have gained much from my trials so far,  a few last thoughts that have come from my trials or helped get get through...

Empathy for others and their situations
Knowing the need to cling to the gospel
Desire to brighten someone's day who is having a hard time
Be strong and hang on for the ride

No comments:

Post a Comment